Barnes & Mullins BJ400E Rathbone 5-String Banjo with Pickup
Barnes & Mullins BJ400E Rathbone 5 String Banjo with Pickup
The Barnes & Mullins BJ400 ‘Rathbone’ 5 string banjo combines outstanding quality with a unique and striking appearance, named after Rathbone Place, the home of Messrs Barnes and Mullins in the early 1900s. A low action and quick neck make this banjo a joy to play. It features a closed back mahogany resonator to deliver an authentic, punchy bluegrass tone with a genuine Remo black banjo head. Geared machine heads ensure improved tuning stability. The BJ400 also features a rolled brass tone ring to improve the volume and projection of the instrument.
In a break from tradition, this Rathbone model is equipped with a Humbucking pickup beneath the Remo head, the volume from which is controllable from a single knob on the side of the instrument. The output from the pickup is through a single jack socket at the base of the instrument.
- Neck: Mahogany
- Resonator: Mahogany
- Fingerboard: Ovangkol
- Rim: Mahogany Laminate
- Tone Ring: Rolled Brass
- Brackets: 24
- Hardware: Chrome
- Head: Remo Black
- Machineheads: Geared, Planetary Style
- Pickup: Humbucker
Please Note: Specifications are subject to change at any time.
Barnes & Mullins Origins
In 1894, Mr Albert Mullins and Mr S. Bowley Barnes started “The Jo”, their famous musical instrument journal.
Specialising in all things banjo, they soon began manufacturing their own banjos as well as importing many other instruments. The original Barnes and Mullins banjos are still sought after today, with collectors seeking them out all over the world.
Sadly in 1914 at the age of 40, Albert Mullins drowned when the ‘Empress of Ireland’ sank on the St Lawrence River. He was on the home leg of a 2 year sales trip.
Bowley Barnes continued the business thereafter, and what he had started with his partner years earlier in Bournemouth now moved to Rathbone Place, London.
In 1976, Mark Barnes – son of Bowley Barnes – moved the business to Grays Inn Road, Bloomsbury. Sadly in 1986, Mark Barnes died. He was greatly admired and respected by employees and customers alike who were quick to tell of his fair and generous nature.
In 1999, Bruce Perrin – a Director since 1986 – became Managing Director and moved the business from London to the current location – Grays Inn House – a modern 46000sqft warehouse and office facility in Oswestry, Shropshire.
Bruce Perrin says “We are excited about the future and are constantly looking at ways to innovate and evolve, yet Barnes and Mullins has always endeavoured to put the customer at the top of its priority list”.
|Brand||Barnes & Mullins|